Page 226 of 550 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276326 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 8245
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Yeah, I think what I'm getting is the double-standards of it all. One of the Jenner girls was praised by a fashion magazine for her "bold braids" then later E! channel said that singer looked like she probably smelled of patchouli or weed because she had braids/locs on the red carpet. It's not really mixing culture when the people who started it still get judged for it.

Speaking of appropiation, the whole deal with Brevoort is just ugh. It's so typical of him to treat important subjects so lightly. It was cool to see someone actually call him out on it.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    How disappointing. And in Cardiff too which when I went there seemed very modern.

By the way, who recommended wicked and the divine to me? We have to read it for our lgbtiq book club and now that I'm reading it in trade I love it a lot more! Can't wait to get the second one!
    Glad you're liking it. Much as I loved the first arc, I think the second one is where the series really came into its own. It's kinda the same as the second episode of most TV shows-- in my opinion, you can't really get a sense of how all the elements play off each other until they've been set up. You can't really know what a TV series will be like until the second episode, after everything's been established.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Based on his avatar AND because he recommended it to me; I'm guessing Time Like Lightning. Such a good comic, so fun and original. The covers are GLORIOUS!
    Kieran, gem, where're you at in the series right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Speaking of appropiation, the whole deal with Brevoort is just ugh. It's so typical of him to treat important subjects so lightly. It was cool to see someone actually call him out on it.
    I stopped reading his Tumblr awhile ago, some of his responses frustrated me so much. What was he asked/what did he say about appropriation?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    I stopped reading his Tumblr awhile ago, some of his responses frustrated me so much. What was he asked/what did he say about appropriation?
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. Basically someone asked him about Marvel doing hip hop covers, while at the same time not hiring any black creators for ANAD Marvel. In his typical snark he answered "What does one have to do with the other, really?".

Original ask:
    http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...that-doing-hip

Naturally it went kinda viral, over 4k notes now. I really liked David Brothers answer.

http://tumblr.iamdavidbrothers.com/p...that-doing-hip

Eventually Brevoort apologized, which was good, but it felt somewhat disingenuous to me.

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...-between#notes

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    This upset me. It's 2015; and while I don't approve of PDA (though to be fair this was a photoshoot); NO STR8 COUPLE would ever be officially asked to stop. Nor would the excuse "there are children around" be brought up. F*cking bigots!!!

Lesbian couple told to stop kissing at Cardiff festival
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-festival.html

A lesbian couple was told to stop kissing in public by a security guard at a festival because it was "obscene" and "disgusting". Mog Wilde and Freya Dansie, both 35, were "shocked and upset" over complaints about their display of affection at a food festival. The couple, who have been together for two years, were visiting Cardiff's Food Festival for Miss Dansie's birthday when they began dancing and kissing.

Miss Wilde, a performance artist, said: "We were dancing to the live music and I kissed Freya because she looked so beautiful and it was her birthday. "Then security came up to us and said it was disgusting, and to stop because there were children around. But this was a public place and we were not doing anything wrong. This was so upsetting. I'm sure if it was a husband and wife kissing then nothing would be said. But I am made of tough stuff, and I'm just glad that it didn't happen to more quiet and sensitive girls. Growing up, I encountered a lot of prejudicial behaviour, but I left that behind. So I was shocked to encounter something like this again."

I'm sure their kiss was beautiful.

So, wait, a genderfluid character that does not require mystical implications (for example Xavin)?
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...for-dc-comics/

I'm shocked. I'm literally shocked. Progressiveness?

also I'm thinking I may be androsexual. Which is like the first time I've reconsidered my sexuality in years (I did spend some time thinking I may be bisexual but I don't feel I am.)

Which I guess fits with my ranking of Kinsey 5.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. Basically someone asked him about Marvel doing hip hop covers, while at the same time not hiring any black creators for ANAD Marvel. In his typical snark he answered "What does one have to do with the other, really?".

Original ask:
    http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...that-doing-hip

Naturally it went kinda viral, over 4k notes now. I really liked David Brothers answer.

http://tumblr.iamdavidbrothers.com/p...that-doing-hip

Eventually Brevoort apologized, which was good, but it felt somewhat disingenuous to me.

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...-between#notes
    Thanks for the links-- appreciate you taking the time to do that. Yeah, the last post felt mainly like damage control and less like "I see there are valid points being made here which I could learn from."

Saw this question, too: http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...heros-in#notes

His reply kinda bummed me. More transgender characters should be an active priority.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    So, wait, a genderfluid character that does not require mystical implications (for example Xavin)?
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...for-dc-comics/

I'm shocked. I'm literally shocked. Progressiveness?

also I'm thinking I may be androsexual. Which is like the first time I've reconsidered my sexuality in years (I did spend some time thinking I may be bisexual but I don't feel I am.)

Which I guess fits with my ranking of Kinsey 5.
    Oooh, might have to give Secret Six a chance!

Congrats on understanding more about your sexuality.

He/him/his pronouns.

I got called a faggot and someone tried to hit me with their car while walking because I needed to get my gay shirt off... Of wolverines claws... This was in Los angeles...

A brighter note, the new ant man annual introduced a gay or bi gaint man.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I got called a faggot and someone tried to hit me with their car while walking because I needed to get my gay shirt off... Of wolverines claws... This was in Los angeles...

Really sorry that happened to you, NewMu.

He/him/his pronouns.

Oh my god that's horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you and I'm glad you're okay
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Got some songs for y'all. First up: "Girls Like Girls," by Hayley Kiyoko.

(Heads-up, this first one's got some homophobic violence in it, but UNLIKE Take Me to Church, the story ends happily)

He/him/his pronouns.

Second, "Young Love" by Eli Lieb.

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Really sorry that happened to you, NewMu.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    Oh my god that's horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you and I'm glad you're okay
    Thanks guys. No worries. It really was odd. Im not to overtly gay, not that it matters; but it was very odd/startling to have a random guy attack me for just walking down the street wearing an X-Men shirt. ESP in LA. Lol
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Sorry to hear that happened to you but good to know you're ok. I heard the new Giant Man is gay, I look forward to seeing him in action.

So EMMY NEWS!!!
    And while I, as a viewer, am seeing all my favourite shows nominated (Modern Family, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Orange is the New Black, American Horror Story, Veep)... I am a little sad about the LGBT lack of representation. Most criminal is Jussie Smollett's lack of nomination for Best Supporting Actor for Empire (this one genuinely makes me man, the man was ROBBED!!!). Along with Cookie, Jamal is the heart of the show and he's bloody wonderful! Jim Parsons (the heart of the Big Bang Theory) isn't nominated. Jessie Tyler Ferguson isn't nominated for Modern Family. Laverne Cox isn't nominated for Orange is the New Black (though season 2 was less good for her). Lee Daniel was completely overlooked for Best Writer, Best Director and Best Series (they couldn't have given him just one, the series is groundbreaking for what it is). RuPaul's Drag Race is ONCE AGAIN snubbed!!! I could be wrong in this (I don't know every actors sexuality, obviously) but I think none of the 30 lead actor nominations went to an LGBT actor/actress.

That said their are some silver linings. One is Tituss Burgess nominated for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (SO HAPPY to see that getting EMMY love, oh Tina Fey you are a goddess). Alan Cumming is nominated for the Good Wife and Sarah Poulson for American Horror Story (YEY!!!).

And, not LGBT... but my four main thoughts: F*CK YES the Queen of Thorns (Dame Dianna Rigg) is nominated again, F*CK YES Elizabeth Banks is FINALLY recognised for her hilariousness in Modern Family, F*CK NO how dare Kate Mulgrew miss out on nomination (and the glorious Queen V Lorraine Toussaint was equally robbed). And finally F*CK NO Neil Patrick Harris was AMAZING in American Horror Story; he should have been nominated!!!

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-17-2015 at 01:01 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."